Friday, April 20, 2012

We forget

We forget all too easy just how blessed we are! I saw something that saddened me tonight and reminded me just how much we take for granted. I thought about all the things we so easily forget. We forget how blessed we are that we have all of our family around. We remember this when we see a friend lose someone they love. We forget just how blessed we are to have healthy family. We remember when someone we know is diagnosed with Cancer. We forget just how beautiful the flowers really are. We remember when it's in the 3rd month of the coldest Winter for our area on record. We forget just how beautiful the snow is. We remember when never see a single flake during December or January.

We are a very forgetful people aren't we. I wonder if our forgetfulness is due to our discontent, or if our discontent is due to our forgetfulness? Either way, both are bad aren't they. People forget how much they love their spouses, and they say they are out of love. They act as though this is a normal thing, as if love is something you can just fall out of. Why are we so intent on being discontent? Why is that we get in a rut, and then we use that rut as the very reason we are unhappy? Why is discontent so easy to grow? It's like a seed from a weed of a plant that starts small and then grows upward chocking the life out of all the good that surrounds it. It takes over the area and pulls all the good out of the environment so that the thing that really needs the nutrients starves.

Whatever it is that breads discontent, I can't put my finger on it exactly. However, I'm certain that it must begin with covetousness. There is always a price to pay for breaking commandments isn't there? We are not supposed to covet, yet it seems that the society is bent towards it in every direction we look. You must need a new car right, because look how fine this one I'm showing you in this commercial is. You must need a new coat, because after all, that was last years style, this year it has changed. You must need a new wife, because after all the stars trade them in like shoes, the soap-operas all show that you can, and even the high-schoolers are learning early on to switch partners as often as you "get tired" of the old one. We feed and feed that old sin of covetousness, and you really think it will not grow? I remember my Great-Grandmother never allowed a TV to be in her home as long as she lived. She called them Covet boxes! Hah, how silly can you imagine? Well I can, and now it doesn't seem so silly at all to want to guard yourself.

I want to guard my children from discontent. I want to guard them from unnecessary hurts. So it makes since that I would remind them doesn't it. It makes sense that I need to make them more aware of remembering what is wrong and doing what is right. I need to remind them. I really need to remind me more, so that I can remember to remind them. I need to teach them through scripture all the examples or bad things happening to those who forgot. Those who forgot to do exactly what GOD said instead of hitting that rock again. Those who needed to remember GOD's commandment instead of breaking it by watching that lady bathe on the other roof top. I need to remind them to think of following those in authority around us and not turning back lest we become dried up like that pillar of salt. There are so many things we need to remember, but so often we forget.

I pray that I can remember more that HE wants me to. I pray that I can think more about the good, than I can the bad. (Philippians 4:8) I pray that GOD will help me to not forget all the Good in my life, before something bad reminds me instead.

I do hope you remember all the good HE has for you today.

Wanting to seek HIM More,
DeAnna

No comments:

Post a Comment